Tuesday, April 30, 2013

S.U.B. Podcast #20 Tim Reaper (UK)

Здраво. Today we have a young artist from the UK. I have noticed him after i have heard a couple of his tunes online. His style was completely different than any other young producer that i have heard. Suddenly i have discovered a few young producers that will be promoted in the SUB podcast series. This week S.U.B. Podcast #18 Tim Reaper (UK)


SUB: Hello, Tim. Could you please introduce yourself?
 
* My name’s Tim Reaper & I’m a jungle/drum & bass producer.


SUB: How did you get involved yourself into playing and producing music?
 
* I first found out about drum & bass when I was about 15, when I had to get two music magazines for an essay project in GCSE Media Studies and the two magazines I got were Mixmag & Metal Hammer. On the copy of Mixmag, there was a cover mix CD which Andy C had done and I was blown away when I listened to it, I’d heard nothing like it before, music with such energy.

After a few months on drum & bass, I discovered jungle by browsing MySpace for artists I knew & liked and I stumbled upon a fake DJ Hype profile, which had the tracks Super Sharp Shooter & Dred Bass on it. They were like none of the drum & bass I had heard before and I noticed that I was playing them more than the drum & bass, so I decided to do a bit of investigating and when I was 16, I decided that I would dive head first into what I soon found out was old school jungle.



SUB: Love the way that in your tracks can be heard a certain amen break that resembles to those a-breaks that were used in the 90’s. This became your signature, and you are already known in the jungle / drum and bass world cause of it. How did you decide, or came to this idea to use those certain drum kits, into nowadays production? 

* It came from my aim to try & be as authentic sounding as possible, which involved seeking out a lot of the sample packs that were doing the rounds of the scene at the time, such as the Zero-G Datafile (& pretty much every other pack they did at the time) packs, the E-Lab Goldmine packs, the Best Service packs, the Kniteforce sample CD and all those CDs from the time. From those, you can get a whole load of great sounding samples, ranging from all sorts of sources and usually by sticking with those and not being too obsessed with making the tracks sound all shiny & modern & updated, you can get that authenticity in your tracks.


SUB: What equipment do you use for producing tracks?

* Right now, I actually haven’t got any equipment. Well, that’s not true I recently bought my first piece of kit the other day, an Alesis Q25 MIDI keyboard, but apart from that, it’s just a really basic setup consisting of my laptop & a pair of production headphones (Sennheiser HD 380s) I’ve had for about 1-2 years now.


SUB: By now you have released for: DSCI4 Records, Alphacut, Criminal, Digibeat Music, and Stepping Forward Records. Have you signed anything new? Future releases?

* On top of all that, I’ve got solo tracks coming on 117, Trace’s label which he started after he ended DSCI4, a track on Threshold’s label Dub Clinique, a remix I got asked to do of a Vybz Kartel tune and a track on a new upstart digital label called Thermosphere, think my one’s the first on that label.


I’ve also got collaborative releases coming with Dwarde on Omni Music, Parallel on Inperspective, Drumlinezz on Channel 82 & some other stuff coming on a new label I’m involved with called Green Bay Wax, keep an eye out for that one.


SUB: Your sound is much more experimental, but due to the fast growing and close combining bass music, you somehow manage to successfully sell that old school amen sound over new bass genre music. Its fucking awesome, how did you come to this idea?

* Well, one thing that I’ve noticed is that a lot more people like jungle than you think, but for the most part, they never really know where to go to hear it or where to find it or, like some of the people that I send tracks to weren’t getting sent any jungle, Trace for example, was only really getting sent a lot of neuro & tech when I decided to send him some of what I made and he wasn’t as aware at the time of the current jungle, but he got made aware.


SUB: What other music styles do you love?

* I’m quite a big fan of that juke/footwork stuff because usually all the stuff at this tempo usually gets thrown under the D&B umbrella, but that stuff is so far off from it, whilst still having that energy of the old jungle I love & make. by (D.S.)





Објавениве материјалите  се наменети за промотивни цели и лична употреба.
© 2013 Авторот ги задржува сите права и секое неовластено објавување и препечатување на материјалите ќе се смета како повреда на авторските права на авторот и повлекува консеквенци за прекршителот.


No comments:

Post a Comment