Tuesday, April 23, 2013

S.U.B. Podcast #19 Ivan Gogovski (Serbia)




SUB: How did you start playing Jungle / drum and bass music?
 
I had my first contact with the jungle/dnb culture in late '96 when i was given several CD's from a friend, among them 4 Hero's seminal album "Parallel Universe" & 1st of React's Artcore compilation series which immeasurably changed and influenced my view of the music world. At that time Hip Hop was at first place to me, but since dj setup was too expensive 4 me, it has been only idea for the future. I had to wait 5 years to obtain equipment... During this time changed my priorities and dnb came on the first place.


SUB: Please tell us more about your shows on Jungletrain.net? (How and when did you start hosting a show on jungletrain.net?)

I am not promoter and I don’t organize parties so my gigs mainly depended on others engaging me.
As I become more and more distant from mainstream dnb, which in mid '00 (from mine point of view), alienated from the essence of its source, I’ve started exploring breakbeat orientated sound that continued evolving original concept . At the time appeared genius Bassbin, leaded by Rohan with the support of the Naphta and torchbearers of that sound, Breakage & Equinox. In period from 2000. to 2008. Bassbin released series of the amazing tracks. Also in 2005. Breakage & Equinox revamped Scientific Wax label which has been hibernated for almost decade. All of these brings me to Jungletrain Radio, on which SciWax Show is still transmitted. Besides of Scientific Wax Show on Jungletrain Radio shows are hosted by: Double 0 & Mantra [Rupture], Chris Inperspective, Code [Subtle Audio], Rumbleton, DJ Trax & Nucleus, Jason 0s, Skitty & Nolige [Foundation X], Phuture-T, etc...

In early 2009. I applied for the slot and soon started to host show titled "Adventures in Breakbeat".
Unfortunately technical issue forced me to postpone show until the 2012. when, with the big support of Vlado [Kicbea] and Nemanja [Shonze], transformed it in Reminiscence Show.



SUB: Who is behind reminiscence show on Jungletrain?
 
Vlado, Nemanja & Me



SUB: How did you start Reminiscence audio? And what have you released so far?

RMA was Vlado’s idea. About one Year ago he came with an idea about starting label which became interesting for me. Since at that time I was occupied on my working place I offered my only my assistance. Soon I lost my job and most of the time I’ve started spending at home, when the idea of active involvement in creating of the label became excellent solution for creative "spending" of free time. In the meantime Vlado and Nemanja have already prepared few releases (Nuage, Parhelia,Nothing) and shortly after Kalgan's EP. Currently topical is labels fifth release which is at the same time first one in a Temporal series which is going to be orientated to more modern sound. This will be followed by several releases as homage to “atmospheric” dnb and breakbeat culture. Producers of this mini cycle are Eschaton, Infest & Parallel, Terminus, afterwards EP by Fushara and second EP of the Temporal series produced by Dave Hoax.



SUB: Future releases for RAUDIO? 

Until the end of the Year are planned single of Montreal's producer Jason 0s/Daat; Retro series which consists of music by 2D33P duo (Legendary DJ Trace & Voyager), Scape, Kid Lib, Tim Reaper, Dwarde...
Also in the pipeline is exclusive material by Okee, Noble Sense, Dave Hoax and another true legend DJ Trax.




SUB: Your view of the current state of dnb in Serbia?

I believe that situation is pretty much the same everywhere, but the people involved in promoting dnb culture are not giving up...



SUB: RAudio seems to get more and more attention from the djs/producers outside of Serbia. With whom did you collaborate? How did you come to the idea to form an label? 

DJ Trax himself, who has joint show with Nucleus on Jungletrain Radio, among the first accepted Reminiscence Audio releases. Thanking to Jungletrain Radio I've met young Dutch producer Infest (which is going to master labels forthcoming releases),whose first LP titled “Darkofi” has just been released on Omni Music and another one is on the way. Also I would like to mention our mate Yankowsky from Poland whose label is Monochrome Recordings. As I mentioned before, forming the label was Vlado's idea I was just godfather.



SUB: Why do you love drum and bass music?

Jah, Amen & Weight.



SUB: All-time favorite top 10  

I simply cannot make choice of only 10 tracks in history of this musical genre over 20 years long.There is so much good tunes that it won’t be honest to choose 10.



SUB: Any word of wisdom?
 
As I don’t consider myself old enough to say any "words of wisdom" I would quote my true musical heroes:

"EVERY STAR IN THE SKY TELLS US HOW AND SHOWS US WHY WE MUST ALL GIVE UNIVERSAL LOVE"







No comments:

Post a Comment