Wednesday, February 27, 2013

S.U.B. Podcast #11 Interview with Nultabyte (Mk)

Hola! Here we are at the end of this month (February). We have another guest mix
by a young artist from Macedonia. Started as an admirer of drum and bass music. Further involvement into the dnb sound, brought him to his first mixes, radio show, gigs and later on production. Already made his name, releasing couple of tunes for certain record labels as: Rotation Deep Uk, Dirt Lies and Audio Black, Connessione Rec. You can hear him on Student FM (92.9 MHz) every Wednesday from 20:00 - 22:00 pm, name of the show Neuritmix. Runs couple of other online radio projects, passionate gamer and true bass head… Aleksandar Nikolovski a.k.a. dj Nultabyte. Read interview here: 


Hi, this time is different, iv found some info about Nultabyte on the internet, however lets make this our first break of the ice question. What is your drum and bass story… how did you start listening and what got you involved in it?


* I’ve always had a thing for electronic music. There were so many different genres and sub-genres that needed to be explored, and even to this day, I still feel like I was, in a way, blessed by having to listen to so much great music over the past decade or so. I was never strictly oriented to one certain genre. The road to finding those ultimate beats started with the well-known German electro-dance crew called “Music Instructor”, together with another B-boy crew named “Flying Steps”. I can honestly say that they were the absolute starting point for my future orientation towards those faster and energetic breakbeats, combined with freestyle performing. But still, I was searching something a little more “heavy” and uplifting. That’s where my gaming profession paid off. :)
I think my first real drum’n’bass contact was somewhere around 2002, and believe it or not, it was thanks to two certain games I’ve played back in the days called “Rollcage” and its sequel – “Rollcage: Stage II”.
Those in-game tunes were all I needed to hear. The search was over.
The thing I still find rather funny is that I really, REALLY liked the tunes I was listening, but I didn’t know WHAT I was listening to.
Even now, the soundtracks are still a masterpiece, containing old-school tunes from some of the best and all-time drum’n’bass producers like Aphrodite, E-Z Rollers, Omni Trio, Ed Rush, Technical Itch, Aquasky etc...
After realizing that I’ve found the real deal, I was trying to learn everything I could about the newly discovered music. Thank the Great Bass Head in the sky that the internet was there to ease the search. :)
Soon after that, I came across other respectful producers like Usual Suspects, Jonny L, Bad Company, Dieselboy, RAM Trilogy, Stakka & Skynet, Optical, Konflict, Total Science, Moving Fusion, and many others.
At the time, I was still unaware that music like that was actually played at gigs in my home town. Also, I never knew anyone who listened to drum’n’bass.
Heck, at one point I even thought that something was wrong with me for liking that genre. :)
Soon after that, the gigs slowly, but surely started to spread, thanks to the endless efforts from our local DJ’s. Many of the people I’ve met 10 years ago, still enjoy
the wonderful sounds of drum’n’bass – and that’s what’s all about. Staying true to the music you love. So I still am, and I always will be. 



How did you end up from the dance floor to the mix table? 



* It wasn’t easy, I can tell you that. It took several years for something like that to happen for me. This was only due to the fact that the crowd was very few in numbers during the beginning of the gig expansions in Skopje. It was the same small crowd that needed the right DJ’s who can keep the enthusiasm alive and the expansion going. There were very few that played drum’n’bass, but those few were the very foundation of the drum’n’bass movement that is today.
That was one of the reasons I was not in a hurry to try becoming a DJ. I waited patiently for our bass culture to reach its zenith.
But I still remember trying to make my very own gig, which, unfortunately, was the first time I stood behind a mixer. I was inexperienced, and it ended in a total disaster :) I made the gig in an ex-club called “The Club” which was once the best place in Skopje for drum’n’bass gigs. My alias back then was “DJ Sonic” but I changed it since there are at least 100 DJ’s worldwide named Sonic.
Anyway, my first real gig experience behind a mixer was with a local music production duo called “Anomalia Nativa” which were kind enough to give me a chance to show my rookie moves as a DJ :) After that, it all came naturally. I was getting better and better, and the DJ’s finally noticed my desire to be one of them.
I think that, being always supportive for all the years towards the drum’n’bass culture is what made me part of the current line-ups. Also, knowing the right people helped a lot too. :) But talent isn’t everything. Having expensive equipment doesn’t automatically put you in gig flyers. Go to your local gigs and give your maximum support, talk to the DJ’s and the organizers, practice whenever you can – even music programs such as VDJ or Traktor can help you a lot. There is no doubt that your actions will be rewarded in the end. 


As I mentioned in the introduction, you already made couple releases for several record labels: Rotation Deep Uk, Dirt Lies and Audio Black, Connessione Records. What got you into your producer mode? 


* Even when I finally made it as a drum’n’bass DJ, I still felt it was not enough. There are other ways to help the wonders of music spread out besides DJ-ing, and producing is one of them. It’s even better I might add. When you’re DJ-ing, only the audience can hear your skills and choice of music, but when you’re producing, the world might just end with another great talent that may become an inspiration to others who want to listen to the same music you create. You never know.
As for me, I started producing several years ago, out of pure love for music. But in this case, producing is not the right term. It was more like learning the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and trying to conquer everything it had to offer. My first official release was with DLA Black where my tune “Jinxed” was signed. After that came Connessione Records, a new label from USA with whom I’ve signed my tune “Luminaire” and shortly after that my “The Null Byte” EP which
has 4 tunes. Next on the list was “Diamond Dust” which was signed for Rotation UK.
One thing I’ve learned so far is that producing is not as easy as it seems to others. It takes a lot of time and steady nerves, and you need to be creative and unique while working with your preferred DAW. There will always be something new you will learn, like a trick or two while twitching those VST knobs, all the way to the final mastering. Nowadays it’s very easy to learn music production. All you need are tutorials which are easy to find on the internet. Just Google for them.
Word of advice: If you’re doing it thinking that you’ll get rich, you’ve got another thing coming. In that case, leave the music production to those who truly understand its purpose.


By listening to your tracks, I can distinguish you from the rest of the young Macedonian producers. Mostly, because your sound is slightly different, it seems like you know what you are doing. Please tell us what do you use for producing music, what is your setup?


* Trust me, I still don’t really know what I’m doing. :)
The ways of starting and finishing your tune during production are endless. That’s the beauty of it. You can be struck with inspiration and try to transfer the sounds inside your head into your DAW, but in the end the results will quite possibly be a lot different than your previous idea of how the tune should’ve sounded. From a deep, dark tune it can end as liquid or jump up. You never know.
When I said “I still don’t know what I’m doing”, it’s because I’m still trying to discover the ideal sound that will represent me. Right know I’m mainly focused towards the dark vibes, combined with deep basslines, and lots and lots of percussions :) I go for simplicity, the fewer sounds the better. My opinion is that this will become the future of drum’n’bass, which is awesome. Some of the best drum’n’bass names from which I draw my inspiration are Amoss, Fade, Need For Mirrors, Subwave, Enei and many more!
When it comes to my studio, it’s nothing spectacular. A standard PC with 24bit sound card for better sound and low latency, quality studio headphones and of course – FL Studio as my preferred DAW.
There are many arguments of which DAW is better, but I personally don’t bother with that. It’s not what DAW you use – it’s HOW GOOD you use it. You can create mind blowing tunes if you just stick to just one DAW of your choice, and learn it as much as you can.
I use Ozone Izotope for mastering, and N.I. Massive for the best sounds possible.
It’s always good to have lots of high quality samples which I prefer using them often. Again, you will hear lots of outside comments of whether if it’s ok to use samples, but don’t bother with that. With a little editing, added effects and skillful combination, you can use whatever samples you can find. 


Any forthcoming releases? 


* Right now I have lot of plans for my future releases, and also collabs with some of our local producers with whom I’m very glad to work with. There are a lot of talented producers who can do wonders when they want to. Hope to see their stuff signed as soon as possible.
Currently I’m in contact with several other labels, and Onset Audio is one of them. There will be other tunes from me which I will add them on my Soundcloud profile very soon, but be patient until then. 


You are running Neuritmix together with Dj Tecktone for several years on Student Fm. Tell us more about your experience as a radio host, and what are your side projects that you currently run? 


* You know, I’m the type of guy who wants to try everything related to music.
Correction – related to drum’n’bass :)
It was my long lasting idea to start a drum’n’bass radio show that will cover those darker sounds and heavy basslines, and I’m very pleased that it turned out to be quite a show :) Even if it only emits in Skopje (excluding online streaming), I still consider “Neuritmix” to be one of my biggest success and achievements, since I can always play new, fresh released tunes that I find suitable for the listeners.
At first it was kind of strange for me to lead a two-hour radio show, LIVE, since I’ve never done that before. But later on, I invited my good friend Tecktone to join me since he was the perfect candidate for leading the show with me.
We’re both drum’n’bass addicts and simply love those dark vibes. After that, everything started going smooth, so the show reached almost 110 episodes within the past two years, leaving behind lots of in-show guest, interviews, live guest mixes and tons of interesting moments :)
The technical crew working in Student FM is awesome, and the equipment is top notch. It’s the perfect studio for leading a radio show.
We will continue onwards with many new guests, tunes and gigs to come.
I recently started a new late night radio show called Dark’n’Bass (Мрак и Бас), together with Lady C, where we mix live from the comfort of our homes.
The show emits every Thursday at 22:00h on www.eradio.mk 


Why do you love drum and bass music? 


* Well, mainly because of four reasons:
1. Heavy bass
2. Good snares and percussions
3. Fast moving rhythm that can make you jump and dance all night long
4. It can be combined with everything, from hip hop to jazz
Since I mentioned before that I always loved electronic music, I find these elements very demanding in order for a tune to satisfy my thirst for quality. But in the end, it all depends of what the listener prefers when listening to music. There
are many factors that can change a person’s choice of music, such as location, the mood, the company etc.
Drum’n’bass is the kind of music that can be played everywhere, every time.
As with the other genres, drum’n’bass is also divided into several sub-genres that can satisfy everyone’s taste. It can be slower, faster and more aggressive, with jazzy melody, with ambient sounds, with singers and MC performers, minimalistic, with relaxing beats or uplifting rhythm – you name it! The combinations are endless.
That’s the magic for your ears. That is what drum’n’bass is all about.
You can never have that kind of freedom with other genres.
Just go at gigs more often, listen to it for yourself, and all will become clear. 

You are one of the rare, but true junglist on the dance floor that I have met. You don’t use any stimulant to get you trough the night, just a pure sound rider. Do you have any view or a point that you would like to share on this matter?

* Oh, but I use stimulants all the time. They’re called bass-lines (sniff) :)
Everyone has their own, fun way of getting throughout the night. Mine just happens to be the pure energy that comes from the club speakers, which, in a way, feeds my mind and soul with positive vibes. No need for extensive drinking, drugs and mindless, angry behavior. Just try to listen what the DJ can offer, isolate yourself within your mind so you can hear nothing but the music. I think that’s the only thing one drum’n’bass fan needs. And besides, isn’t that the reason why should people go at gigs? For the music, right? :) 


Your opinion about the Macedonian drum and bass scene. What is good, what is wrong, or just how can we make it better? 


* The Macedonian drum’n’bass scene had some drastic changes during this last decade. Many places and clubs were shut down, people came and go. But the current state shows that we’re now more alive and ready to party than ever. All that is now is thanks to the endless effort of our DJ’s and several of our drum’n’bass movements and organizations such as “Macedonian Junglist Movement” (MJM) and D2 crew. We have a one-hour long documentary called “Respect” that shows the lifestyle and drum’n’bass culture in Macedonia. We’ve brought some of the greatest names worldwide such as Aphrodite, Black Sun Empire, Big Bud, Cause 4 Concern, A-Sides, DJ Flight, L 33, Blu Mar Ten and many more.
I can honestly say that the Macedonian drum’n’bass scene is anything BUT bad. What makes me really happy is that it started to spread rapidly even outside our capital, towards cities like Shtip, Kumanovo, Tetovo, Bitola etc.
The future is bright for our scene since there are many new & wannabe DJ’s, people start to recognize many of the tunes that the DJ’s play and come in massive numbers to almost every gig we organize, there are many new radio shows and drum’n’bass producers who spread the love as much as they can! 


Thanks for the mix and the exclusives in it. Please if you have something to add… 


* Thanks to S.U.B. for my interview. A bit long, so try not to fall asleep while reading it :)
Again, go to our gigs whenever you can, spread the word to others, enjoy the music and fully enjoy the skill of our DJ’s, listen to home-made drum’n’bass tunes and always give your full support for the drum’n’bass scene.
Check yourself before you wreck yourself! It’s all about the music <3

No comments:

Post a Comment