Wednesday, February 6, 2013

S.U.B. Podcast #08 Interview with Euphorics (Sr)

Hola people! Thanks to my lazy yet sorry ass, won’t be able to fill you in with new music
selection this week. Instead of that, one of the mixes came earlier, and save my lazy
sorry ass from being irresponsible. So, podcast # 08 is on time, this week’s guest is from
Serbia. Euphorics, a production project created by Untah Selecta started in 2008. You
will hear and read an interview with Untah Selecta. Already been in Skopje as a guest,
his sound is described as euphoric/l​iquidish, ​positive-vi​bed selection. This mix is safe for
work, so give it a try. Listen, follow, and share. Skopje Urban Beats exclusive podcast
#08 by Euphorics.

Hi, it’s a bit hard to do these interviews without any proper info material out there.
So let’s get some info about Euphorics, how this idea did came to realization (your
beginning, current situation etc).

Well, the idea of Euphorics project started 6 years ago, after gig I had in Eastern Serbia,
where I had a discussion with local promoter who was into a breakbeat business for a
long time and he suggested me to begin with production if I want people to know about
me an my DJ work, which was my one and only love at that time.
After that, I decide to learn production basics with my friend, underground hip-hop
producer named Doc Sick, and started to make first production steps. One thing to
another, I`ve made my first tunes and began sending those to worldwide DJs and radio
show hosts.


You have already released tunes for: Santorin, Basswerk Records… any new tunes being
released?

Yes, I had a huge success with “Smoke” tune, collaborating with Joe EasyNuttah released
on Santorin as 12” vinyl, and a small part in Molecular Structure`s “Memories Long
Lost” album on Basswerk few years ago. After that, I had colab with Florida-based female vocalist Jett for Point 9 Audio, and single for UK label named “Quondam Records”. In February 2013. I`m releasing first digital EP named “Moonshine” for well knownLiquid Brilliants label, including some tunes that were made years ago and still sounding more than good. After that I expect release for Brazilian Luv Disaster records so i can join names like Drumagick, Paul SG, Dave Owen, Muwookie and many other great names signed to this label. Beside that, there are few big tracks which are unsigned, waiting for the best offer, so I decided to be patient with those.


Mixes that can be found by your alias Untah Selecta or even Euphorics, are always
profound and soulful, as your own production. What inspires you the most, and do you
always strive to this perfectionism?

From the beginning, as a DJ, my aim was to promote tunes that I found most interesting
through finest selection, avoiding big names and their, in most of cases, unimpressive
tunes. Even today, I still buy vinyls of producers that aren`t well known for the most of
the people. That`s my passion.


People that usually have their souls put into the scene, get feedback by meeting their dj/
producer idols (that’s a cosmic thing). Did you ever meet an idol of yours? What was
your reaction like?

Basically, I don`t have specific idol or a roll model, I`ve met many big names especially
from liquid funk area, mostly as a part of the crowd on their gigs in clubs and festivals.
Besides Big Bud, Utah Jazz, Patife, Stamina, Conrad, Jenna G, one of greatest
experiences was meeting Danny Bukem, especially because it was on his demand. After
spending some time with him, mostly talking about music and lifestyles in UK and
Serbia, a man can only conclude that LTJ is far from some vain lad, what most people
think of him on fist site.


Tell us about the drum and bass scene in Serbia or your own town, from your point of
view?

It is really amazing how Serbia, as a third world country with lowest ethic and economic
standards in the world, has such strong DnB scene for last15 years. As a producer, I
can give highest grades to mister Side 1 from Belgrade, and beside him there are good
producers like Okee, Treo, Rim Runner… Also we have great liquid funk producer Soul
Connection from Central Serbia and, for some heavier sound, Delikt crew.
In the aspect of party organizing, I would point to “Inna Deep Sessions” at first place,
also we have “Šurenje”
"MLB (We break beats) parties" series which is very popular lately, 
“Sofa Kru” nights and parties organized by the one of the oldest organisation in Serbia “Codex”.

Is it hard to make it out there? How long does it take for some of the major labels to
notice you?

You know, sometimes I ask myself how it would be to produce in the normal country
when you can provide at least minimum technical requirements to make music. The same
rule is for DJing too. Lately you have some controllers, bunch of computers, laptops and
devices that I don`t even know how to use, so you can imagine how hard I support that
kind of DJing. The only solace in this new age DJ fashion is that crowd can value and
appreciate true Drum and Bass soldiers and vinyl heroes as the only right representatives
of the best sound.

Regarding the question about been noticed by the big labels, you have to be in touch with
as much DJs, radio show hosts and labels as you can, not just after you begin to produce
but years before that, and everything will come to place. That my recipe.


What equipment do you use for production?

As I said in previous question, here in Serbia, you can`t provide equipment like your
colleagues abroad. In my case, production process starts from the bedroom, using laptop
with digital audio workstations as Reason (which I use the most), Cubase and Sony Acid,
monitored by the cheapest speakers and headphones on the market. After that, I take raw
project to local house music studio (Rewire DJ`s Studio) and do the entire sound setting -
mixdown, equalization and mastering. It takes time to relay your vision to sound engineer
from the different electronic music genre, but I enjoy having a war with him for hours. :)


By looking into your work, seems like you have a great musical background. Who is
responsible for that?

Yes, blessed that person (laugh)…
As a kid, my first contact with sounds that I liked was in breakdance videos, and after
that, rap videos on MTV (when it was music television) provided by 3th national
television (at that time, in Serbia, there was only three TV channels). After that, as
youngster I saw The Prodigy – “Out Of Space” video and I knew that was it! I had some
serious flirting with house music and UK speed garage, but when I bought first record I
had to cut and make decision: it was Drum and Bass.
Later I`ve got worldwide connections through internet, listening and downloading
BBC radio shows, DnB Arena mixes in the beginning, and through years I`ve created
distinguish taste as I got now.


Do you regret something?

I`m proud of everything I`ve done in my life so far

Last question why drum and bass? Why do you love it?

The answer is simple: it has the most imaginative beat (except in Jazz and some
traditional world music) ever made. The rest is just a matter of melody and personal taste.


Anything you want to add or say to the people that flow S.U.B.

Always be as good as you can and never trust politicians, police and girls that don`t lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment