Wednesday, November 13, 2013

MIGHTY MELODY INTERVIEW FOR SKOPJE URBAN BEATS




Miss Mighty Melody female dj, producer and a promoter coming from Dresden, currently stationed in Berlin (Germany). Passed 11 years she was working on her own production, and promoting parties through various groups all over Germany.  Last few years has been touring North America alongside Dj K. Had a few official releases for Dub Chamber Records. This Saturday (16.11.2013) you can see her perform at Kapan An, together with our own jungle squad combined by:  Ogie, Mogli and Blaris. This Jungle Party is brought by MJM in line with Beats Bazar Sessions.

SUB : As reading your bio, I got the feeling you have explored reggae sound and somehow ended up doing jungle music. Please tell us your story.  What got you into playing music?  Your own thoughts about experiencing Jungle sound, and what has pushed you into integrating yourself into the scene/movements?

I actually started with music around 1997 as I learned to play guitar a bit… not sure why, but I was sort of searching for something I can express myself with. A year later I got into Hip Hop more and more, started writing lyrics, got more involved in this whole HipHop movement what brought me together with different DJs, MCs, Breakdancers, Graffity Artists and so on. It was amazing time! After a couple of years, this scene turned more serious, business- and gangsterlike… I couldn't see myself any longer being a part of that, so I stopped and  went more to reggae already anyway. Loved the vibes, this positivity and power it had. One day I just felt, I would love to hear only my favorite tunes, so I got into buying 7inch reggae vinyl. On reggae parties I all at the sudden heard one or two certain tunes over and over, DJs would drop them at the peak time and I fell in love with them immediately. How I found out later, these were actually the oldskool jungle hits ‘Original Nuttah’ by UK Apache and ‘Incredible’ by General Levy. One day I got to know D.I.S. and I found out that there is actually a Ragga Jungle scene in the world and it blew me away. From this moment on I started digging for Jungle vinyl a lot. Since I also felt like playing Jungle now, I recognized that it doesn't always fit on Reggae parties where I was playing and that there is no real audience for it in my hometown, at least non I could see. Some friends and me decided then, we need show Dresden what they are actually missing by not really noticing Ragga Jungle lol. In 2005 we put all our love into it and started booking all our favorite Jungle Producers and DJs. As two years later this party series called ‘La fête de jungle’ got bigger than our club capacity was able to handle, we had to move to a bigger venue. We changed the party name into ‘Blackboard Massive’ because grew and were doing two floors now, raggajungle and reggae. After two three years our club closed, it took us till 2011 to find a new venue. It’s a smaller one and not massive (big) anymore, that’s why we adjusted the name of the party series to ‘Blackboard Jungle’. And I guess since our crew name Séance de Danse wasn't so easy to remember but Blackboard Massive or Jungle much better, people started calling us the Blackboard Jungle crew. We also grew over the years a bit and now have 6 members:  Dennis Franchise, DJ Phonic, Joe Slow, Eddy Grenade and Lad Lia & me.


I don’t actually know why it was working so well in Dresden, I guess it was just the right timing and people appreciate it when you kind of personalize/ individualize a party by drawing graphics for flyers, building nice decoration elements, using visualization sometimes, having some little give-always regularly like glow sticks, sparkling lights, whistles, CD's etc. The most I liked about the Jungle scene was that it seemed so tolerant, open minded and positive. And Ragga Jungle is just perfect for dancing, maybe even a bit more than Reggae/ Dancehall because it’s more versatile and includes those Reggae breaks anyway. I actually could write pages to answer this question proper…


SUB: As I can see you have a large selection of dubplates. What are your own favorite dubplates?


I guess my most favorite dubplates right now are my remix of Lady N’s ‘No War’ and my Warrior King Special of ‘Melody’.


SUB: You have few releases for Dub Chamber Recordings in these past few years. How is that collaboration going, do you plan any new releases? 

There are definitely lots of ideas and options, also for other collaborations. Since I had to take a break for a year and just got started now again but not finished yet... Don’t wanna ruin the surprise, so no details for now…


SUB: You are a member in different promoter groups as: Séance de Dance, Blackboard Jungle, Ulan Bator, Dub der guten Hoffnung.

There is a point when a person who does djing or producing chooses to be a promoter. However not just anyone intends to get involved in this responsibilities since they are a lot of headaches. As I can see from your bio, you have chosen to push and promote your point of view of this music, from the very start of your career, firstly into your home town, and later on in rest of Germany.

Only the true junglists are involving themselves into spreading the love, vibes and the message of this music, by becoming a part of it. When did you realize (if you realized) that you are one with the scene, and is it really worth the effort?

That’s a difficult question. There are different memories coming up. I realized it the first time I guess as we reached capacity with our parties in our first club after 2 years.

Second: At the same time we recognized people all at the sudden were using the name ‘Jungle’ much more then ever before (just my own perception) and new young Jungle DJs popped up. At the beginning often people came to me and said: That’s nice DnB you are playing and I really felt forced telling them it’s not DnB but Jungle.

Third: Some people I knew from the reggae scene didn’t like Jungle at the beginning at all and said I should stick with playing Reggae, but after 2-3 years they came to our parties and danced like crazy. Awesome to see this change.


But it feels worth it the most when your guests just have a big smile on their face, giving you awesome feedback and telling you things like: ‘Being at your party is always like holiday for me.’ Or: ‘I never missed on of your parties all those years and collected all those beautiful flyers.’ All those comments are more then worth it because you know you enriched somebody’s life and made it a bit brighter. 


SUB: Why do you love DNB (in your case) JUNGLE?


Words can’t express feelings good enough… can you explain love? It just hits you, blows you away and makes you feel like being on a higher level. I could say now, I love the amen break and the vocals and stuff but that wouldn't be the whole truth…  it’s just like being on the same wave-length or having found a soul mate.



SUB: Many of the people involved into the JDNB scene, either live a double life (working from 9 to 17, then travel and party), or just happened to have the time of their life by doing what they want.
Where do you belong? Are you satisfied with the current state of your life?

I’m definitely feeling pretty good right now with my 9 to 5 job. I’m working on a freelance basis as a project management assistant for the classical music sector of the world music label piranha which is based in Berlin. And on weekends I regularly travel and play shows and keep working on music. Both is really fulfilling me right now and seems to be in a good balance, even when I wish to have more time for music sometimes.


SUB: Most favorite DNB tracks?

There are way too many to list but right now I love the following onces a lot:
Collosus – Compare Beyond
Rudimental feat Ella Eyre – Waiting All Night
Dope Ammo feat Yemi Bolatiwa – Feel the Desire
Tuggawar – Bun It Up (ft Freedo)
Dijeyow & Ricky Tuff – Touch Di Target

BONES  feat Freddie McGregor – Born A Winner


SUB: Have you ever heard of Macedonia?

It’s funny that you ask that. Because Zana wrote me approximately 4 years ago and asked me for my booking details… I have to admit that back then I had to look up where Macedonia is on the map lol. 


SUB: Anything to add?

Peace. Love. Unity. Respect!

Thank you on behalf of SKOPJE URBAN BEATS and hope you smash the place on Saturday. (Bring lots of AMEN, LOTS!)


Објавениве материјалите се наменети за промотивни цели и лична употреба. © 2013 Авторот ги задржува сите права и секое неовластено објавување и препечатување на материјалите ќе се смета како повреда на авторските права на авторот и повлекува консеквенци за прекршителот.

No comments:

Post a Comment